Senior Software Engineer, Ads Team
IXL Learning, a leading edtech company with products used by 14 million students worldwide, is seeking a Senior Software Engineer who has a passion for technology and education to join our new team leading programmatic digital advertising initiatives.
IXL Learning is home to 5 ads-supported properties operating under a Freemium business model, monetizing the traffic from millions of users with digital advertising:
- SpanishDictionary.com is a leading website and mobile app for English speakers who are learning Spanish with 20 million monthly active users.
- inglés.com is an emerging website and mobile app for Spanish speakers who are learning English with 5 million monthly active users.
- ABCya.com is a leading learning resource featuring fun educational games for kids from pre-K to 6th grade with 15 million monthly active users.
- Multiplication.com is an interactive learning website designed to help kids master the multiplication tables with 1 million monthly active users.
- Homeschoolmath.net is a one-stop shop of math resources for homeschooling parents and teachers with 300,000 monthly active users.
We are now developing our in-house adtech to consolidate and scale our advertising operations into a unified stack to service all of our ads-supported properties. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to lead this exciting technical transition.
This is a full-time remote position for candidates in the United States, strong preference for those in the Eastern time zone.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Building a unified header-bidding ads solution using Prebid.js and Google Ad Manager (GAM) that can be used across all of IXL’s ad-supported properties
- Optimizing billions of ad impressions to maximize revenue while maintaining a high-quality user experience
- Mentoring teammates, upholding best practices, and ensuring the technical success of high value ad features
- Executing A/B tests to improve ad revenue performance
- Enhancing our analytics pipeline to ingest our ads events and facilitate data analysis across brands
- Determining opportunities for growth by analyzing technical and ad performance data
- Tracking down and addressing ad quality problems to ensure a great user experience
- Full-stack web development using technologies like Node.js, React, SQL, AWS, and Docker
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
- Deep understanding of the programmatic ad life cycle. Experience working with header bidding technologies such as GAM and Predbid.js
- Knowledge of Node, React, AWS, and SQL, or the ability to learn them quickly
- Experience with techniques for optimizing web page speed
- Familiarity with building data analytics pipelines
TEAM PROJECTS AND CULTURE
- We developed and manage a diversified in-house header bidding advertising stack, optimized across billions of impressions.
- We created a data analytics platform to process events from our ad system in real time, at scale, using AWS Redshift and Looker
- We executed hundreds of A/B tests to identify optimal strategies within our ad stack
- We optimized our sites’ performance for Core Web Vitals
- We deployed a high-availability, automated, and scalable server infrastructure on AWS with an uptime of more than 99.999% last year.
- We’ve brought together a talented team that is down-to-earth, friendly, and driven to build products that people use and love
- Our technology stack is state-of-the-art, and we pride ourselves on an engineering culture committed to data-informed decisions, focus on value, rapid iteration, broad test coverage, extensive automation, peer-reviewed code, and fast deployments
- Software drives our business, and we understand the value of having time for engineers to focus on technical priorities
- This role will join a small team, which means every engineer on the team has a huge impact across millions of users and very low barriers to getting things done.
ABOUT IXL LEARNING
IXL Learning is the country's largest edtech company. We reach millions of learners through our diverse range of products. For example:
- 1 in 4 students in the United States uses IXL.com
- Rosetta Stone provides an immersive learning experience for 25 languages
- Wyzant is the nation's largest community of tutors, covering 300+ subjects
- Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) is a comprehensive marketplace for millions of educator-created resources
Our mission is to create innovative products that will make a real, positive difference for learners and educators and we're looking for passionate, mission-minded people to join us in achieving this goal. We have a unique culture at IXL that fosters collaboration and the open exchange of ideas. We value our team and treat one another with kindness and respect. We approach our work with passion, tenacity, and authenticity. We find it immensely satisfying to develop products that impact the lives of millions and we are eager to have you join our team.