Senior Backend Engineer - Hunt
As a pioneer in digital outdoor navigation with a suite of apps, onX was founded in Montana, which in turn has inspired our mission to awaken the adventurer inside everyone. With more than 300 employees located around the country working in largely remote / hybrid roles, we have created regional “Basecamps” to help remote employees find connection and inspiration with other onXers. We bring our outdoor passion to work every day, coupling it with industry-leading technology to craft dynamic outdoor experiences.
Through multiple years of growth, we haven’t lost our entrepreneurial ethos at onX. We offer a fast-paced, growing, tech-forward environment where ownership, accountability, and passion for winning as a team are essential. We value diversity and believe it leads to different perspectives and inspires both new adventures and new growth. As a team, we’re hungry to improve, value innovation, and believe great ideas come from any direction.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
onX is seeking a talented Senior Backend Engineer to help our Hunt team. This team focuses on feature development for the onX Hunt application. We practice data-driven decision making and emphasize experimentation. Working with Go and Elixir, Engineers on our team have ownership and autonomy to create, develop and analyze their work in the context of greater company objectives. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a dynamic growing company focused on making an impact on the business, working with new technologies, and solving hard problems.
As an onX Senior Backend Engineer, your essential job duties and responsibilities will look like:
- Build scalable services to support new features and products for the onX suite of apps.
- Write unit, integration, and acceptance tests
- Participate in architectural decisions involving our services
- Collaborate effectively with other team members and stakeholders
- Lead by example - embody our company values
- Leverage and extend existing onX services
- Participate in an on-call schedule to support backend services after work hours
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Minimum of six (6) years of professional software development experience is required, where API development was your professional focus for at least three (3) or more years.
- Experience building and debugging distributed, scalable microservices architecture
- Ability to evaluate technologies and solutions based on merit, stability, performance and the ability to debug
- Well-versed in modern API and systems design and development
- A strong computer science foundation
- A belief that your profession is a craft and you’re driven to improve every day
- Advocacy for the customer and their experience
- The desire to work with other happy, talented engineers
- Ability to mentor junior engineers and be mentored by other senior engineers
- Ability to write great code
- A shared passion for and ability to demonstrate onX’s Company Values
- Permanent US work authorization is a condition of employment with onX.
Though not required, we would be thrilled to consider candidates with any of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in computer engineering, computer science, software engineering or related degree required
- Experience working in Go
- Experience with Elixir or other FP languages
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes and infrastructure-as-code technologies such as Terraform
- Familiarity with at least one major cloud platform provider such as Google Cloud Platform
- Strong background in relational databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Strong background developing consumer facing APIs and authentication protocols
- Experience working with a distributed team
WHERE YOU CAN WORK
onX has created a thriving distributed workforce community across several US locations. This position can only be performed from an onX corporate office, “Basecamp,” or “Talent Cluster.”
- Corporate Offices: onX’s was founded in Montana with offices in Missoula and Bozeman. If you prefer to work in an office at least part of the time this is a great option.
- Basecamps: onX’s Basecamps are established virtual workforce communities where a sizable number of distributed team members group for work, volunteering, socializing, and adventure.
- Our current Basecamps are located within a 90-mile radius of the following: Austin, TX; Charlotte, NC; Denver, CO; Minneapolis, MN; Portland, OR; Salt Lake City, UT; and Seattle, WA.
- Talent Clusters: onX’s Talent Cluster locations are smaller, emerging communities of distributed team members.
- Our current Talent Clusters are located within a 60-mile radius of the following: Boise, ID; Charleston, SC; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Richmond, VA; Spokane, WA; and Vermont.
HOW YOU’LL BE COMPENSATED
onX is committed to compensating all employees fairly and equitably for their contributions. For this position, applicants can expect to make between $130,000 to $150,000 upon hire. The pay range will vary based on experience, skills, certifications, and education among other factors as required in the job description. In addition, full-time onX employees are eligible for a grant of common share options with a vesting schedule and a potential annual bonus of 10% based on company performance.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING YOU
- Competitive salaries, annual bonuses, equity, and opportunities for growth
- Comprehensive health benefits including a no-monthly-cost medical plan
- Parental leave plan of 5 or 13 weeks fully paid
- 401k matching at 100% for the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
- Company-wide outdoor adventures and amazing outdoor industry perks
- Annual “Get Out, Get Active” funds to fuel your active lifestyle in and outside of the gym
- Flexible time away package that includes PTO, STO, VTO, quiet weeks, and floating holidays
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting - [90%]
- Standing - [0%]
- Walking - [10%]
- Bending - [Occasionally]
- Kneeling - [Some]
- Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
- Reaching - [Regularly]
- Telephone Use - [Yes]
- Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
- Travel - Depends on location; remote employees typically travel to Montana twice per year.
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
We put the customer first.
We are passionate.
We win as a team.
We take ownership.
We work with urgency.
We are curious and seek the truth.
We innovate & take risks.
Position open until filled.
At onX, we believe that diversity makes us better. Bringing together a diverse set of backgrounds, ideas, and opinions helps us to achieve our mission to awaken the adventurer in everyone. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. onX is committed to equal opportunity not only in our hiring practices but also in our employment practices, including but not limited to development, compensation, and promotion. We strive to build an inclusive work community where everyone can be their authentic self, and together, we win as a team. Come join us!