Senior Android Engineer
As a pioneer in digital outdoor navigation with a suite of apps, onX was founded in Montana, which in turn has inspired our mission to awaken the adventurer inside everyone. With more than 300 employees located around the country working in largely remote / hybrid roles, we have created regional “Basecamps” to help remote employees find connection and inspiration with other onXers. We bring our outdoor passion to work every day, coupling it with industry-leading technology to craft dynamic outdoor experiences.
Through multiple years of growth, we haven’t lost our entrepreneurial ethos at onX. We offer a fast-paced, growing, tech-forward environment where ownership, accountability, and passion for winning as a team are essential. We value diversity and believe it leads to different perspectives and inspires both new adventures and new growth. As a team, we’re hungry to improve, value innovation, and believe great ideas come from any direction.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
onX is seeking a Senior Android Engineer to join our Where-Atlas team. This team is responsible for bringing our mapping data to life within our products for users to engage with. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a dynamic growing company focused on making an impact on the business, and the mobile mapping industry as a whole. You’ll work on a cross-platform team alongside iOS, web, and backend engineers with a designer, product manager, and will report to the team Engineering Manager.
As an onX Senior Android Engineer, your day to day responsibilities would look like:
(Essential Job Duties)
- Develop new user-facing features in our Android app with Kotlin
- Write reusable code and libraries for future use
- Write unit, integration, and acceptance tests
- Maintain an “offline first” application that must work with or without service
- Store data locally using a combination of SQLite, Shared Preferences, and disk caching
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed, scalability, and battery life
- Participate in Android platform leadership and craft best practices that help the team succeed
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Mentor junior software engineers to help them learn and grow
onX has created a thriving distributed workforce community across several US locations. This position can only be performed from an onX corporate office, “Basecamp,” or “Talent Cluster.”
- Corporate Offices: onX’s was founded in Montana with offices in Missoula and Bozeman. If you prefer to work in an office at least part of the time this is a great option.
- Basecamps: onX’s Basecamps are established virtual workforce communities where a sizable number of distributed team members group for work, volunteering, socializing, and adventure.
- Our current Basecamps are located within a 90-mile radius of the following: Austin, TX; Charlotte, NC; Denver, CO; Minneapolis, MN; Portland, OR; Salt Lake City, UT; and Seattle, WA.
- Talent Clusters: onX’s Talent Cluster locations are smaller, emerging communities of distributed team members.
- Our current Talent Clusters are located within a 60-mile radius of the following: Boise, ID; Charleston, SC; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Richmond, VA; Spokane, WA; and Vermont.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related; OR equivalent experience.
- Minimum six (6) years of professional software development experience required, where Android development (Kotlin and/or Java) was your professional focus for four (4) or more years.
- Must have worked on an app that has been released to the Google Play Store, either as an individual or member of a team.
- Strong CS Fundamentals such as algorithms and data structures.
- Experience with gRPC and/or REST
- Experience with SQLite or other relational databases
- Understanding of best practices and architectural patterns such as MVVM.
- You are excited to work with experienced developers and write great code
- You’re fun to work with
- You get stuff done
- You take ownership
- Permanent US work authorization is a condition of employment with onX.
Though not required, we would be thrilled to consider candidates with any of the following:
- Experience with Geospatial tools and libraries
- Experience with MapBox is strongly preferred
- Ability to understand and review code written in Go and Swift to better collaborate with your team
- Experience using WorkManager API
- Experience with cross-platform libraries and code using JNI
- Understanding of concurrency in Android
- Familiar with GCS, Firebase, Kubernetes, microservices, or Docker
- Practice using metrics to measure app performance at scale
onX is committed to compensating all employees fairly and equitably for their contributions. For this position, applicants can expect to make between $145,000 to $165,000 upon hire. The pay range will vary based on experience, skills, certifications, and education among other factors as required in the job description. In addition, full-time onX employees are eligible for a grant of common share options with a vesting schedule and a potential annual bonus of 10% based on company performance.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING YOU
- Competitive salaries, annual bonuses, equity, and opportunities for growth
- Comprehensive health benefits including a no-monthly-cost medical plan
- Parental leave plan of 5 or 13 weeks fully paid
- 401k matching at 100% for the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
- Company-wide outdoor adventures and amazing outdoor industry perks
- Annual “Get Out, Get Active” funds to fuel your active lifestyle in and outside of the gym
- Flexible time away package that includes PTO, STO, VTO, quiet weeks, and floating holidays
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting - [90%]
- Standing - [0%]
- Walking - [10%]
- Bending - [Occasionally]
- Kneeling - [Some]
- Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
- Reaching - [Regularly]
- Telephone Use - [Yes]
- Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
- Travel - Depends on location; remote employees typically travel to Montana twice per year.
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
We put the customer first.
We are passionate.
We win as a team.
We take ownership.
We work with urgency.
We are curious and seek the truth.
We innovate & take risks.
Position open until filled.
At onX, we believe that diversity makes us better. Bringing together a diverse set of backgrounds, ideas, and opinions helps us to achieve our mission to awaken the adventurer in everyone. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. onX is committed to equal opportunity not only in our hiring practices but also in our employment practices, including but not limited to development, compensation, and promotion. We strive to build an inclusive work community where everyone can be their authentic self, and together, we win as a team. Come join us!