Technical Threat Analyst | Contractor | US* Remote
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2023
Online misinformation, hate speech, child endangerment, and extreme violence are some of the world's most critical and complex problems. Trust Lab is a fast-growing, VC-backed startup, founded by ex-Google executives determined to use software engineering, ML, and data science to tackle these challenges and make the internet healthier and safer for everyone.
If you’re interested in working with the world’s largest social media companies and online platforms, and building technologies to mitigate these issues, you’ve come to the right place. We’re looking for proven Policy Leaders who want to solve difficult problems and use tech for good in the Trust & Safety industry.
We are a small, global, mostly remote team and you can be based anywhere in the US*, or join our team in-person in Palo Alto, CA.
TrustLab is only authorized to hire in specific states. You must be located in one of these US states in order to apply for the role: CA, CO, CT, DC, MA, MD, MI, MT, NY, OR,PA, TX, VA, WI, WY.
About the Role
We are seeking a Senior Threat Analyst with a specialized focus on foreign influence to join our dynamic team. In this role, you will play a pivotal part in identifying and mitigating the impact of foreign entities on digital ecosystems. This role reports into the Director of Policy and Operations at Trust Lab.
The Technical Threat Analyst is responsible for monitoring and analyzing digital environments, specifically focusing on identifying signs of foreign interference and influence. You are an expert in data analysis, and are comfortable in collecting, cleaning, and organizing data from a variety of multi-modal data sources, primarily from social media platforms. From these sources, you can uncover subtle patterns and anomalies that will inform bigger strategies across the company.
Your role extends to employing advanced data analyst techniques to detect foreign influence activities and map out their impact. You will work with partners to investigate and track their origin, as well as conduct in-depth analyses of their methods, motives, and overall impact.
- Conduct in-depth investigations into user behavior, content, and peer-to-peer interactions according to TrustLab requirements
- Analyze large datasets to detect trends, patterns, and anomalies that may indicate potential threats or emerging abuse across the internet
- Be informed of emerging trends, threats, and industry developments as it relates to online safety and trust issues
- Generate clear and concise reports on investigative findings, trends, and recommendations for action
- Assist in responding to critical incidents and escalations by providing insight and recommendations to high profile clients
- Create clear, concise visualizations of complex or abstract concepts and datasets
- Collaborate with a broad range of stakeholders in Engineering, Data Science, Sales, and leadership teams
- Expertise in at least one of the following: Python, Pandas, Jupyter, SQL (Particularly Postgres), Networking graphing and graph databases (Neo4j, Neptune, Maltego)
- Proven experience in conducting online investigations, preferably in a Trust and Safety, cybersecurity, law enforcement, or government context
- Experience with China or Russian foreign intelligence
- Strongly analytical skills with ability to work with large datasets and draw meaningful conclusions
- Understanding of online safety and trust issues, including the knowledge of relevant laws and regulations
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal
- Proficiency in OSINT methods and tooling
- Experience with: Tableau, AWS
Opportunities + Perks
- Competitive compensation at a rapidly growing Series A, VC-backed startup
- Remote-first, with the ability to work almost anywhere* or co-locate with our Palo Alto team
- Influence new product direction from idea to commercialization
- Help develop critical tech to solve one of the 21st century’s trickiest societal problems
We are an equal-opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and believes that people of varied backgrounds working together lead to the best outcomes across all levels of a company. This is your chance to help build world-class technology in a space that greatly matters to society, working with a team that is invested in your professional growth! Our team members come from all different parts of the world, perspectives, ages, and experiences.