Backend Engineer | England, Germany, Turkey
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
About Trust Lab
Online misinformation, hate speech, child endangerment, and extreme violence are some of the world's most critical and complex problems. Trust Lab is a fast-growing, VC-backed startup, founded by ex-Google, TikTok and Reddit executives determined to use software engineering, ML, and data science to tackle these challenges and make the internet healthier and safer for everyone.
If you’re interested in working with the world’s largest social media companies and online platforms, and building technologies to mitigate these issues, you’ve come to the right place. We are a small, global, mostly remote team and you can be based in Germany, UK or Turkey.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced individual to join our team as a backend software engineer at Trust Lab.
The Backend Software Engineer role is responsible for crafting the backbone of our products, developing and maintaining robust backend services that power our internal operations and serve our customers. As a key contributor to our dynamic team, you will collaborate closely with cross-functional colleagues to transform business requirements into innovative technical solutions, ensuring the performance, security, and scalability of our systems.
- Design, develop, and maintain robust backend services that process internal and customer data.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to gather and understand business requirements and provide innovative technical solutions.
- Ensure the performance, security, and scalability of our systems, implementing best practices for optimization.
- Deliver well-structured, maintainable code and actively participate in code reviews to maintain code quality and consistency.
- Continuously monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize existing systems to enhance overall performance.
- A technical Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience in software development.
- 3+ years of professional software development experience within the industry.
- Proficiency in data structures, algorithms, and software development principles.
- Proven experience in developing scalable backend systems, we mainly use Python but your experience may vary.
- Knowledge of developing systems in cloud environments, such as AWS or similar cloud platforms.
- Familiarity with various database technologies/practices, including SQL, NoSQL, Event-driven/Asynchronous Processing, RDBMS, and Data Warehousing.
- Understanding of common DevOps patterns and tools used in cloud environments (collaboration with DevOps engineers will be part of your role).
- High-level project management skills and experience using tools like Jira for effective project tracking.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Experience or passion for Trust and Safety.
- Familiarity with microservices architecture and related tools.
- Knowledge of serverless computing and its implementation in cloud environments.
- Familiarity with machine learning or AI technologies and their integration into backend systems.
Opportunities and Perks
- Competitive total compensation package with stock options at a rapidly growing Series A, VC-backed startup.
- Remote-first, with the ability to work anywhere, with occasional meetups in London, Berlin, Ankara (depending on your country).
- Work from home office support to create the perfect at-home setup.
- Individual wellness stipend.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Influence new product direction from idea to commercialization.
- Help develop critical tech to solve one of the 21st century’s trickiest societal problems.
We are an equal-opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and believes that people of varied backgrounds working together lead to the best outcomes across all levels of a company. This is your chance to help build world-class technology in a space that greatly matters to society, working with a team that is invested in your professional growth! Our team members come from all different parts of the world, perspectives, ages, and experiences.